In my first term, I have co-sponsored Senator Bernie Sanders' bill, the College for All Act, to make public four-year colleges and universities affordable for all. I believe we need to educate the next generation to complete in a global economy.
Ro knows we need to educate the next generation to compete in a global economy. The platform below is based on his conversation with parents, teachers, and education experts in our community. As a member of Congress, he will fight to:
- Make college affordable and debt free by providing federal grants and putting textbooks and introductory courses online.
- Prioritize local, California students for admission at the UCs over out of state students.
- Support increased funding for K-12 education; including programs for special education, music, art, upgrading technology, unfunded mandates, and Head Start reimbursement rates.
- Move away from high-stakes testing and support a curriculum that fosters critical thinking, collaborative learning, and creativity through art and music. Encourage students to become lifelong learners and develop 21st century skills by engaging in project based learning that is age-appropriate and relevant to the real world.
- Support quality early learning opportunities by passing legislation on universal preschool for our most vulnerable students to ensure reading at grade level and math fluency by 3rd grade.
- Support a balance of local and state control accountability that encourages collaborations among key stakeholders including parents, teachers, and administrators. Elevate the teaching profession with more teacher training programs at low cost and increase salaries.
- Promote STEM and STEAM curriculum. Focus on technology, science and creativity for all students, share job opportunities in the STEAM fields. Encourage and support girls and under-served groups to enter the field.